The mission of the mathematics department is to provide an environment where students can learn and become competent users of mathematics and mathematical applications. Moreover, the department will contribute to the development of students as mathematical thinkers, enabling them to become lifelong learners, to continue to grow in their chosen professions, and to function as productive citizens.
At St. Patrick’s Academy we believe that the study of Mathematics is an integral part of education, relevant to all students, and possessing the potential to enrich any endeavour. Teachers use technology and innovative practices in a rigorous curriculum to equip students for success in their studies. Patricians learn critical-thinking skills and explore the merits and limitations of technology in Mathematics.
The primary goals of the Mathematics Program are as follows:
- Become mathematical problem solvers
- Learn to communicate mathematically
- Learn to reason mathematically
- Learn to value mathematics
- Become confident in their own ability
Motivating students to be enthusiastically receptive is one of the most important aspects of mathematics instruction and a critical aspect of any curriculum. We are using the following methods to motivate our children.
- Smart boards are used for interactive teaching.
- Teachers use wooden geometry boxes to enhance construction skills.
- We organize quizzes in the classrooms on a regular basis.
- Children participate in various competitive exams like Olympiad, Tarun Sangeet etc.
- Remedial classes are provided to the children.
- Different teaching-aids are used to engage the children.
In fulfilling this mission, the department creates an environment where the faculty and Patricians continue to grow as teachers and scholars, while providing public and professional service.